Night at the museum

At the beginning of the day, I wasn’t too excited about going on the trip to the Brooklyn Museum. I thought it would be boring, and the number of people would be overstimulating. However, after getting fed, I became a little more optimistic about the trip. After the admittedly quick and painless bus ride, we went in, and were escorted to the auditorium where Dr. Byrne gave us a rundown of the night and explained why they do this for freshmen. She said she wanted to give us a day at the museum where we had free rein and didn’t have to share the experience, except with our peers. This was also intended to help build relationships between the campuses and create a sense of community across all of Macaulay.

After hearing her speech, we were allowed to explore. The first thirty minutes or so were extremely chaotic. The CSI kids all grouped together and tried to explore as a group. When we gathered, we thought it would be a good idea to start from the top and make our way down through the floors of the museum.

The top floor, focused on American art, was by far my favorite. Two of the floors were closed, so I only had two to compare, but I digress. This floor featured some beautiful art, and my favorite piece is the one below. I can’t exactly explain why I’m so intrigued by such a simple piece, but something about it caught my eye. I think it’s because the painter depicted herself in a mirror within the painting, adding an extra layer of realism. Additionally, it’s such a simple drawing, yet it reveals more detail every time you look at it. The rest of the floor also had impressive paintings, sculptures, and artistic items, but this piece stood out the most to me.

The art on the third floor was also intriguing, but not as captivating as the fifth floor. It felt more historical than artistic, and I’ve never been into abstract art. Still, I found the ancient sculptures and icons beautiful and impressive, especially considering the lack of modern technology at the time they were made.

In short, my night at the museum was extremely fun. I thought the art on display was impressive, and experiencing it with my peers made it even more enjoyable.