Art Lab Aleksey

My trip began when I arrived at Snug Harbor. The layout of the park was confusing, but I managed to find the Art Lab building. When I entered, I was greeted and given a free rubber wrist band and a sheet of paper that depicted what activities were located in what room. I decided to go to the oil painting lab, since I have never tried it. When I entered the room, I was greeted by an art teacher and my peers. The class began with the art teacher showing some of her works made with oil paint, they seemed beautiful and the thought of soon making something similar made me excited. The art teacher continued by setting up the classroom with chairs, easels, and art models. After that the class was handed a canvas, a plastic cup with a paint dissolving solution in it, a paintbrush, a wooden board with paper on it, and paper towels. Then I had a choice of what to paint and I chose a pair of pears on a dark red background. I set up my equipment near the pear model station and chose the oil paints that I need. 

I began painting the pears by drawing an outline of the pear shapes with a light-blue paint. In order to do this, I needed to dip my brush into the paint dissolving solution then the light-blue oil paint. Then I began mixing colors to match the color of the first pear, which was a brownish-green, a yellowish-green, and a light-green color. After a couple of attempts, I finally made the desired colors and colored inside and a bit over the light-blue outline. Then I moved onto the next pear, which had a yellow-brown and yellow-green color, and colored in the outline. After fully coloring the pears, I went on to create the color of the background, which took me a while to replicate it accurately, and colored it in. With the main details of the painting done, I went on to create the shadows, which was just a darker version of the original color. Finally, I created the stems of the pears and finished. The teacher told me that the painting will take a week to dry and to keep dust off of it. I took my artwork and went home.